How to not be a dick to someone with a disability

Several of these have gone viral, but I’ve decided to do my own. I deal with the world’s idiots and assholes on a daily basis- here are some tips to avoid acting like a jerk around someone with a disability.


  1. Don’t assume you know anything about my life, or my disability.  
  2. Don’t judge my quality of life by saying things like “in a wheelchair”, “confined to a wheelchair”, “crippled”, “invalid,” etc. Use non-pitying, person emphasizing words like “uses a wheelchair”, “assistive technology user”, and “person with a disability.”
  3. Don’t assume walking is inherently better than not walking.  For me, using a scooter is practical for two reasons: 1) if I walk too far, I start to hurt, and 2) excessive walking is high impact and wears out my hips.  Therefore, for me, scooting > walking.  If you see me walking, don’t say things like “Wow, look at you!” or “You must feel good today!” Again, if you just met me, you know nothing about me, so please don’t assume that you do.  
  4. Don’t show open frustration if you are inconvenienced by something being accessible.  This happens most frequently when I use public transportation, because operating a wheelchair lift can add a couple of minutes to the commute.  I’m sorry if those two minutes inconvenience you, but I promise you it’s nothing compared to how inconvenienced I am when transportation isn’t accessible. 
  5. If you just met me, don’t make jokes relating a power chair or scooter to a motorized vehicle.  Trust me, I’ve heard them all, and they’re really not that funny.  If we’re friends and you think you have a really good, creative one, go for it. 
  6. If you meet me on the street, don’t ask “what happened to you?” There are much more polite ways to ask about my disability that don’t confer judgment and pity, but even more importantly, if we are total strangers who happen to cross paths, it is absolutely none of your business
  7. It’s fine to offer assistance, but if I say no, then walk away. People without a disability have a hard time understanding how frustrating it is when people incorrectly assume I need help with something, and perseverate in their assumption even after I’ve told them they’re wrong.  Assuming I need assistance with everything is annoying; blatantly ignoring me and doing things I just told you not to because you think you know better than me, is downright rude.
  8. Don’t say “I could never live like that.” If, someday, you are in a disabling accident and you decide that your life is not worth living, that decision is limited to your life only. The only person capable of judging his or her quality of life is his or her self.  This statement is also ignorant - medicine and assistive technology enable people with disabilities to live independent, productive lives.  The challenges that people with disabilities face may be more obvious, but that doesn’t mean they’re necessary greater.  Life is tough, no matter how disabled or able-bodied you are, and having a disability does not mean your life is inherently worse than that of an averagelly-able-bodied person.
  9. Don’t assume I’m sick.  Some people with disabilities have life-threatening diseases, but many are completely healthy.  
  10. Don’t assume I don’t work out.  
  11. Don’t assume I’m incapable of having or raising children.
  12. Don’t assume I can’t have sex, that I don’t want to have sex, or that it would be wrong for a person without a disability to want to have sex with me. Sexuality and disability are two separate things.  
  13. Don’t stare. If you are of an acceptable age to not know that staring is rude (ie. under 8) then I will smile and wave at you.  If you a teenager or an adult, I will stare right back.
  14. Don’t assume my career options are limited.  I’m working on my PhD in neuroscience, what do you do?
  15. Don’t assume I only date other people with disabilities.  
  16. Going out in public is not an invitation to be asked rude, personal questions.  I will usually take the time to educate people, but having a disability does not mean I have a duty to talk about my disability, especially to complete strangers.   
  17. Don’t be surprised that I’m pretty.  Having a disability and being attractive are not mutually exclusive things.  In fact, having a disability is not mutually exclusive with anything...except not having a disability.
  18. If I’m with people, do not assume they are my “caregivers”.  Most of the time if I’m with able-bodied friends or relatives, people will talk directly to them about me.  Unless someone specifically tells you that they are assisting a person with a disability  and that you should address questions and comments to them, then speak directly to the person to whom you are talking to/about.  
  19. Anything along the lines of “I know what you’re going through, because I broke my foot last year” is off limits.  First of all, you’re comparing my life to a hardship that you went through, implying that my entire life is a hardship.  Second of all, if you just met me, you know nothing about my disability, and it’s none of your business to ask. If you want to show solidarity with accessibility-issues, say something like “I’m amazed at how inaccessible things still are, and how easy it is to not notice it if you don’t use a wheelchair or scooter.”
  20. Don't cut in front of me in line. Just because I'm not physically standing in line, doesn't mean I'm not in line.  In general, try to avoid cutting directly in front of me, because there's a good chance you'll get run into.
  21. Most importantly....treat me with respect, as you should any human being.

Comments

  1. A big one I forgot: don't cut in front of me in line. Just because I am not physically standing in a line doesn't mean I'm not in it. You'd be surprised how often people blatantly cut me off.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"But You Don't Look Little", Calling out narrow views of dwarfism

In case you didn't know how I feel about midget wrestling...

How having a disability strips you of your right to say “no”